God writes our story.
I am still learning to surrender the pen.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012


I've been on cruises to the Caribbean (and more!) to sit on the beach, sip strawberry daiquiris, and sunbathe...
I've been to Alaska to canoe in the icy waters and to see glaciers, icebergs, and bald eagles....
I've been roadtripping on a 'Girlcation' to a spa weekend...
and I've flown to places that are the top sights to see in the U.S....
I may not be a world-traveler, but I do pride on having gone a lot in my 25years....

This. This was by far the best vacation I have ever been on. 

This was a vacation that truly served the purpose of vacation.
It brought my husband and I closer together. It was relaxing, stress-free, and renewing. I felt pampered, and blessed, and just so totally lucky. I was content. I felt like I was living the dream.

Crazy it was only two hours away and cost under $600.

Monday (11th) my husband came home with a hop in his step. He was thrilled to not have to return to work for an entire week. We began to pack and get the things for our dogs together. It wasn't a rush. The only thing stressing me out was that I had a lot of errands to run and a house to get close to spotless for our foster care inspection. It wasn't too terribly late in the day, but I was still a little panicked. Until our case worker called and told us she would have to reschedule. Whew. It wasn't a problem. ;)

Tuesday (12th) Walter and I enjoyed the day. We slept in as long as we could (8AM, lol) and just hung around the house. By craft night later that night we still weren't fully packed, but we weren't in a rush.

Wednesday (13th) we woke up around 7AM and finished packing. We finished getting the dog's things together, and loaded everything into the car. We dropped off the pups (yes, I cried... in the car) and headed to breakfast. After IHOP we were on our way. We took turns picking music and reliving all the fun songs we loved in high school, or college, or presently. 
When we got to Oakridge Manor, we couldn't help but look around and meet Bob & Anna, our hosts. We then drove aimlessly around and found ourselves 'lost' in a small city about 45minutes away. For lunch, we randomly chose a place called Morello's and ordered two things that sounded good that we had obviously never had before. They both were delicious. Their pizza will probably go down in history as one of my Top 5 Favorites. From that point on, we decided to not eat at a Subway or any other place we knew of. 

We got back to 'The Manor' and immediately jumped into the two person jacuzzi. Blah blah blah... I'll skip the details. ;) The entire evening we spent totally relaxing each other. Eating snacks, giving massages, getting in/out of the glorious tub... At dinner we tried a place called Sao's Asian. It was good for Chinese food- it's kind of the same like everywhere- but the place was beautiful. Full of etched glass and water fountains. 
We got back late and then we walked through the garden. It was dark, but the garden was full of beautiful lighting, and we read our new vows to each other for the fourth time. Walter's vow this year was to work hard and improve our lifestyle, by taking more responsibly to save more money, help around the home, etc. My vow was to 'let go, and let God' take control and to relish in the day-to-day that I love so dearly with him.

Thursday (14th) we slept in and had breakfast made for us by Bob & Anna. It was, hands down, the best breakfast I have ever, ever had. 'Farmer's Eggs' with cheese, and scallions, and diced potatoes... with SUPER crispy bacon that was in one word- perfect. We had hand rolled raspberry jam filled pastries with a brown sugar/cinnamon/almond rolled french toast. It was perfectly soft and crunchy. We also had a bowl of fresh fruit. Needless to say, we didn't eat again until late afternoon. It was heavenly. 
After breakfast we got our swimsuits on and played by the pool for a couple of hours. We got some sun. Then we dried off and read (and I smashbooked as well) by the pool for hours. We talked and listened to music. When it got too hot, we would jump in the pool. We played cards and laughed and didn't say a word about IVF or babies or money or chores...

When we finally got hungry we decided to have a semi-fancy night. We got in the best we had packed and went to a restaurant called the 20's Hideout. It was a steakhouse and piano bar that was decorated like the 1920's. All the waiters/waitresses were dressed like mobsters. I ordered the 'Flapper Filet', Walter got the 'Mexican Connection', and Walter surprised me with a bottle of wine. We sat for hours talking and listening to the music. I have never eaten dinner so slow in my life, but we had no where to go and we enjoyed every moment.

We got back and watched TV for awhile. It was a treat since we do not have TV at home. We didn't watch anything important, but we snuggled in bed while watching all the bad TV we could find. "Bait Car" "Repo Men" "Cops" and lastly, "The Girl Next Door".

Friday (15th) we ate our homemade breakfast again. This time it was a bowl of fresh fruit, with a ham and egg quiche, and banana-ginger pastries. This wan't as great as the morning before- I'm not a quiche person- but we sat and drank coffee and chatted with Anna for quite some time. Anna took us on a tour, since we were the only couple staying, and showed us all the rooms for 'next time'. We packed and left to visit some of the local wineries. It was a sad goodbye; we didn't want to leave The Manor or Bob & Anna.
The wineries were fun, and so was 'getting lost' again and driving around the beautiful canopies the trees and vines made. It wasn't long before I was anxious to see Belle & Lucy. We had been watching them online the entire time off/on. We finally did grab some delicious Subway on the way home, and drove straight to get our dogs. You could tell they had a blast. They were worn out, and recovered for a full 36 hours. It was nice to sleep in our own bed again.

Saturday (16th) I had to get up and work, but luckily, I was able to find some to work half of my shift so I was able to leave at noon. Afterwards I got ready and we went over to finally meet our new niece, Wrenn. Walter and I sat there and held her for over two hours. She was so beautiful and talk about baby fever! 
We came home, played with the dogs, and decided it was a good time to carve our initals into our tree. I've always wanted to do that, and it was on my Summer Bucket List! :) Afterward, we got ready and went to The Lantern Festival at the Missouri Botanical Gardens. The lady I nanny for had given us tickets as a thank you gift. I am so blessed. We got there at opening, and took our time walking around the gardens for an hour. We watched two shows, and they both were worth it. After the shows, it was getting dark and the lanterns were lit. We walked around again, looking at each lantern now that it was lit and left shortly after 8PM. Walter bought me a beautiful teal butterfly in a shadowbox from the store and I will forever remember this vacation and the time we went to the Japanese Garden and kissed again just like we were pronounced husband and wife. 

Yes, Nine Dragons! Crazy huh? 

Sunday (17th) we got Starbucks and went to church. We also got to meet up with a friend and her husband from Georgia for a long belated catch-up. They both are amazing people. So glad to have got to spend the morning with them.
We spent the day shopping at bookstores, playing online, and enjoying a lazy Sunday. We finally went to our last Fusion teaching at Metro (more on this later) and went to Annie's with all of the kids until late. It was a perfect, bittersweet ending.

Monday (18th) after bumming around the house we got the car ready for our first drive-in movie(s) at Skyview. We packed up snacks, blankets, and pillows, and had an amazing time. We will definitely go back. We watched Madagascar 3 and Snow White & The Huntsmen. I blame the terrible acting and plot for putting me to sleep through the middle of Snow White, not the late hour and we came home in the early morning to snuggle into bed. 

Tuesday (19th) we wanted to get a lot of things in 'the nursery' moved around while Walter could help for our inspection with foster care coming up next week. Around lunchtime my friend Britney came over and we all headed to the Delmar Loop. We ate at Cheesology and visited Iron Age to get estimates for our next dream purchases. Walter's jar for his tattoo fund that he got for his birthday/Father's Day is growing and growing and so is his anticipation. Britney and I did a little shopping at the mall (it's that time of year to stock up on bras! lol) while Walter played his game online. He didn't miss me one bit. ;) His playing continued and Craft Night began just like every Tuesday at 8PM and when I finally came to bed at 2AM he was out cold of course. 

Wednesday (20th//Today) the vacation ended. Mainly because Walter went back to work and because the medication that I (had put off taking and) began on Sunday did its job. Yes, I had my period. Finally. First one since the LAST IVF in March. This began Day 1 of our IVF cycle #2. On day 3 I will begin Clomid agan (I apologize in advance) and in July I will begin the birth control pill again (always a funny dose of irony). Injections will start late July and the ER/ET is looking to fall around August 27th. 

Walter and I sure are in a season right now. A season of change. We are beginning being members at a different church now that we have fulfilled what we felt like we promised Metro Community. We are both excited and very sad. A bittersweet decision it is. We are constantly driving around the Shiloh/O'Fallon area looking at house and discussing what we are looking for, because yes, we want to move. However, we are waiting for Walter's contract at work to settle. This contract could leave him with everything from no job to a job that will give him a $10/hr raise! While it's very safe to assume it will fall close to the middle, it is a semi-stressful and anxious time. We cannot wait until the ball drops and it gets to decide how much longer we will be at our very first home together on West Main. IVF is beginning again and all the balls are spinning in the air, I just hope I have the dexterity enough to catch them all. My mind and heart and always and forever duking it out and if this cycle of IVF will be 'worth it' and end me up pregnant. 

Be still my heart. God knows the answer to every question. He is the comfort to every feeling. He is the rock to build a life on and He will not forget us. Whatever is to come, is what is to come. 

I love Walter. I love being a family of 2 people, 2 dogs, and a bunny... and if that's where He has us for awhile more, well then... that's where we'll be. 

I was talking to friends the other day and I told them that the first time I was honest and could say I enjoyed being single, I met the man of my dreams and I drug my feet getting the diamond on my hand and walking down that isle. Don't get me wrong, marrying Walter was the best thing I have ever done (besides accepting Christ) and I was a happy, blushing bride... but I was also content and happy being just Jenny.
Now, I tell you, thinking of our upcoming IVF and a possible baby/babies due in May (or sooner!) there is a little voice in my head that screams, "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! But you're happy! Let's not change this! Let's go on another trip to a B&B... let's sleep in.... let's order pizza when the electric bill is due..."

While it is scary, it also gives me hope. I'm content being Jen & Walter... Lord, does this mean you're about to change my plans again?


  1. oh my gosh, that sounds uhh-mazing. i LOVEE relaxing vacations like that. not all of them are, but they should be!!! so happy for you!

  2. While reading your article I've forgot that topic of article is IVF treatment. You are a good writer and this post is very nicely written.

    meet our team