God writes our story.
I am still learning to surrender the pen.


Monday, October 29, 2012

Baby Bucket: Update One

When I first saw that stick say 'pregnant' I thought of how my life was about to change. My mind raced ahead to baby learning to walk, the endless chaos that having babies seem to bring, and the new relationship I will soon learn to form with my husband. That moment truly taught me you can never prepare for baby. At that moment it didn't matter how long we had been 'trying' or how badly I wanted a baby... my mind starting a mini freak our about how it our lives were soon about to change.
I then wrote a blog about all the things I wanted to try to accomplish before baby. Many of you at the time thought it was me trying to be positive in our infertility... but yep. I was secretly knowing I was pregnant.
Well, with the growing of baby I've forgotten about that list until a wonderful gift and reminder showed up at our door. My friends Laura and Nathan stopped by to deliver the wonderful makings of baby's mobile (more on that later) and a disaster kit compiled lovingly in an emergency backpack that will keep us sane until baby turns four. Because of their sweet consideration, I not only get to mark our first item off the list, but I am reminded to get back to working on this list!


51things to do before baby

FAITH
Get on a Bible reading plan and keep it up!
Complete a couples devotional.
Volunteer/Be on mission.
Get involved in Cornerstone's youth ministry. (delayed until after baby)


FAMILY
Get into the habit of walking the dogs every day.
Spend an entire day at home with husband watching movies, playing games, etc uninterrupted.
Have spontaneous, fun sex.
Buy a new video game for my husband, and force him to have a "Selfish Day".
Finish foster care profile update.
Go to the Ozarks with my mom.
Have a fun shopping trip with my sister.


HEALTH
Memorize the 'Clean 15/Dirty Dozen' list and buy organically.
Take a prenatal yoga class.
Eat more fruits and veggies.


PERSONAL
Read all books in 'to read' pile and don't buy any more until finished.
Catch up on scrapbooks.
Organize digital photos into albums or CDs.
Revamp my closet.
Host a dinner party.
Finish crocheting a baby blanket.
Take naps.
Get pedicures.
Get a massage.
Have a 'shopping day' to just walk around the shops slowly.
Take the time to get a nice haircut and eyebrows done.
Take bubble baths.
Blog.


MONEY
Get out of debt. 
Have $1,000 emergency fund.
Write a living will.
Stick with our budget better.
Save (at least) the first 10% of Walter's check.


DOMESTIC
Sharpen up on meal planning strategies/cooking.  
Have a disaster kit. (Thank you wonderful friends!)
Get into our new home and have the nursery decorated.  (delayed until after baby)
Have a laundry plan.
Streamline and organize housework.
Switch to organic cleaning supplies. 
Utilize our Home Notebook with schedules and recipes, etc.
Bake. A lot.


TRAVEL/ADVENTURE
Have a weekend getaway with my husband- possibly to a bed & breakfast.
Have a weekend getaway with my best friend- wherever she wants.
Take a 24-48hour trip by myself to be with my own thoughts.
Make a list of all the restaurants I've wanted to try and go.
Visit Chicago.


DATE NIGHT 
Shoot pool.
Go to the movies and see lots of movies (maybe at least one horror too). 
Make my husband snickerdoodle cookies, along with one of his favorite meals. 
Go to a play, concert, somewhere not 'baby-friendly' together.
'Just Us' photo shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment