God writes our story.
I am still learning to surrender the pen.


Thursday, September 20, 2012

What a Growing Squish!

I seriously can't believe it. I'm still in shock.

Today was my last day as an 'infertility patient' at Washington University Center of Reproduction and Infertility.

It was a great day.

It was a sad day.

Walter was unable to go to this ultrasound, so I brought my mom and my best friend Britney this time. We started off with an ultrasound and it was more amazing than words can say! I can't believe HOW MUCH our little squish is growing! Just 14 days ago he/she was 5mm, and now we're at 19mm! The heart rate went from 116 to 174 in those two weeks as well! Instead of a blob, this baby looks like... a BABY!

First the ultrasound tech started with the 2D ultrasound. She looked at baby, checked my still-enlarged ovaries (still slowly going back to normal), and snapped some pictures. I immediately couldn't believe how big our Squishy grew! I could already make out the shape of a head and little legs! It was incredible!!!

This is what I saw:


You can see the head, the heart, and the beginnings of little legs here! Baby is hanging upside down and the amniotic sac is growing nicely around him/her. (Walter keeps saying the gestational sac looks like Africa, lol)

Then the tech switched on the 3D imaging for us. Can I just say how lucky I am to be a pregnant infertility patient?!?!?! They're definitely not stingy with the print outs (I got SEVEN this time), the zooming up close, the best technology, and doing whatever it takes to make a happy momma!

Tears streamed down my face when I saw this one:


Doesn't he/she look so peaceful? Look closely to see where the eyes are, and even a little nose! You can see the arms and the legs, and even the brain! The ultrasound tech said the "brain is measuring larger" but it wasn't measuring large enough to case concern... sounds pretty perfect to me!

She got a picture of the heart rate:


Heart rate 174 at 8w2d!

...and before I could ask, she allowed me to hear it again!
(Check out my facebook group to hear it! Wallheimer Miracle)

It was also a sad day. I've grown to know these women. They have brightened my days in some of my darkest. They've given me hope. They've given me a shoulder. They've given me my miracle!

I had to do something for them. 

For the staff:




For Andrea (my nurse):



And for the WONDERFUL Dr. Amber Cooper:





After posting in the Wallheimer Miracle group on Facebook and joking about it, I thought I might as well post it here as well. Can give everyone nightmares. The ultrasound tech wanted to get a side profile of the baby, and let's just say the face looks CREEPY at this stage! Britney blamed it on the grande hot chocolate I had beforehand, but I think it's just a teeny tiny skull that is just so strange to see. I think this is why they usually don't do 3D images this early:


LOL

Well, at least it will be a funny shot to shower for our gender reveal party! ;)
(check back for THAT update soon!)





2 comments:

  1. This is such an awesome post. I LOVE that you thanked your doctors, nurses, and clinic staff. I have to agree, they are some of the nicest people and are always so kind and helpful. What a great idea for the future! ;)

    3D ultrasounds are always so funny looking to me, but I'm sure they are exciting for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they're pretty weird and strange (especially this early) too! But it is interesting to slowly see the face form etc (even if it is a little creepy now...). lol

    Thanks so much for the encouragement! I think it's a good idea, and I can't wait for the day you get to thank your staff!

    ReplyDelete